GIBSON STRENGTH

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Stuffed Before Dinner

"I need to get in shape before I work out."

This statement, when scrutinized with any sort of objectivity, is profoundly stupid. It's dumb. It's like saying, "I'd love to join you for dinner, but I'm not full yet." Every time someone says they can't train with me or come to one of our classes because they're not "in good enough shape" I curse our society for allowing such a person to roam freely and for punishing me were I to strike them down.

Okay, I get it. No one wants to be embarrassed, and puking twenty minutes into a boot camp in front of your friends would make anyone think twice about putting themselves out there like that. But I wish people would see the big picture: the more embarrassed you are of the shape you're in, the more you really need to get in shape.

 As a personal trainer, even one relatively early in his career, I've already dealt with people who in all likelihood were in worse shape than you. That's why people seek out people who have made a career out of getting people in shape. You take your car to a car wash when it's dirty. If it's really dirty, it may take a little longer and require a little more effort to get it clean, but that shouldn't deter you from taking your car to the one place you know will get it clean.

Even in a group setting, even if you're really out of shape, even if you're the worst in the class, we've all been there before. We all start at the bottom, and the harder we climb the faster we get to the top. So either start eating full meals before dinner for consistency's sake, or get out there and let us help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment