GIBSON STRENGTH

Friday, May 10, 2013

One Week Down, Five to Go

May 10


I finished the first week of my workout program without any bodily injury! (Wild cheers of unrestrained joy reverberate throughout this blog.  So as you read, make sure to imagine this.)

Though completely worn out after my workout, as per usual, I actually felt like I accomplished something today.  I was super sore and I felt like my last five squats should have been deeper, but I actually did something that matters, which is basically this: I did things today that I hadn't been able to do before.

I'm paraphrasing, of course, from something I have read by some fitness author that Justin would probably be able to name instantly.  But that's not the point.  The point is that I finished my workout with only the minor weight adjustments that I had to make from Wednesday, and I did it without tears, hyperventilation, or (sorry in advance for the faint of heart and weak of stomach) violently throwing up.

Two things of note:

1) I did the complex through the first time with bar weight, because I'm still very uncomfortable with some of the more complicated exercises that it involves.  But, after my first time through, I started feeling frisky, so I added twenty pounds, which brings the weight up to 65lbs.  The macho part of me feels embarrassed that that's all I can do.  But, when I really think about it, until a few months ago, the heaviest thing I ever had to lift was my laptop or a Qdoba burrito.  But today I ran through my complex like a boss.

2) I did my 60 squats following the plan to the letter.  That's 30 squats at 95 and 30 squats at 115.  Though I'm glad that no one was watching me do these, I'm proud of them.  Especially the first 25 squats at 115.  (To elaborate on what I said before, the last five were basically half the depth of the first five.)

So, I've had my ups and downs this week, but, all in all I'm proud of what I've done.  I'm also thankful that I have two days to recuperate. And eat.  I'm going to go broke trying to eat as much as I'm supposed to...

But Sunday is Mother's Day, so I'll probably be taking this weekend off from blogging as well.  So I'll talk to you all again on Monday.  As Justin's so fond of saying at the end of his entries, "Go forth and lift heavy things."

No comments:

Post a Comment